Careers at Ipserv
Discover the range of roles available at IPSERV and how you can become part of a team that provides customers with high quality, ethical services.
Why work for us?
It’s an exciting time for us at IPSERV. As the commercial arm of Ipswich Borough Council you will be joining at a time when you can really help shape our services and how we work with clients.
We’re also an accredited Living Wage employer. This means that as a business we’ve made the conscious decision to ensure that our employees and contracted workers are paid a fair day’s wage. The real Living Wage is independently calculated on an annual basis and is based on the best available living standards in the UK.
The Living Wage accreditation is awarded by The Living Wage Foundation, which is an independent organisation that recognises UK businesses who demonstrate a commitment to ensuring their employees and contractors are paid a wage that provides a comfortable standard of living.
Our Core Values
Head of Property
Job title: Head of Property
Ipswich | Grade C
To manage, develop and oversee the asset portfolio owned by a client within the Ipswich Borough Council Group.
- To develop and implement an asset management strategy for the portfolio, keeping it under review
- To provide advice to the client’s Board / Management Team on property matters
- To fulfil all corporate landlord functions on behalf of the client
- To participate in any working group that the client to ensure that property matters are considered as part of the client’s corporate strategy
- To ensure that the client’s property related revenue targets are achieved
- To manage the clients operational sites as required, ensuring that the clients financial, occupancy and tenant satisfaction targets are achieved
- To effectively manage a team of individuals employed by IPSERV Employers and / or the client, applying the relevant HR policies, effectively designing and managing change and ensuring modern efficient working practices, and one team approach.
- To ensure that the client’s assets are regularly valued and the requirements of its auditors are met in this regard
- To lead on acquisitions and disposals for the client as appropriate
- To work effectively with tenants, agents, other teams e.g. Construction and other interested parties
- Senior management experience
- Political and financial acumen
- Effective performance and project management
- Track record of managing large property estate including acquisitions and disposals
- Strong inter-personal skills including negotiation and influencing
- RICS registered valuer
- Understanding of public procurement
- Partnership working skills
This job description is a guide to the requirements of the role and may be varied at any time without changing the substantive nature of the role
Principal Building Control Surveyor
Job title: Principal Building Control Surveyor
Ipswich | Grade E – up to £66k | Grade D – up to £72kalary – £30,675 – £33,289 (Pro rata for part time hours)
To provide the full range of building control services with a focus on specialist Building Control Regulation applications for complex buildings, ensuring compliance with regulations for the health and safety of persons in and around buildings.
It is anticipated that the post holder will be seconded to Ipswich Borough Council into the role of Principal Building Control Surveyor and fulfil the following duties:
- To manage complex Building Control projects within the Ipswich and East Suffolk Building Control partnership ensuring compliance with Building Control and allied legislation.
- All Building Control functions including (but not limited to)
- Examination of applications for compliance with Building Regulations and associated legislation.
- Liaising with architects, builders and other professional bodies to negotiate and ensure compliance of proposals.
- Formal consultation with local Fire, Police and Water Authorities.
- Monitoring work to ensure compliance with relevant Legislation.
- Establishing validity of Initial Notices from Approved Inspectors.
- Issuing certificates of compliance or regularisation following satisfactory completion of work.
- Maintaining comprehensive accurate records
- Maintain professional development and knowledge to efficiently administer changing and increasingly complex regulatory control of building work and operations. To promote learning and awareness of changes and amendment to legislation to our clients and daily contacts in the industry. Ensure level of professional competency is to LABC ‘Specialist Surveyor’ level to enable the post holder to undertake the duties of the post.
- To inspect, report and act as required on dangerous buildings and demolitions sites (during and out of normal work hours) where necessary instigating emergency measures to minimise any potential hazard and in the event of legal action, prepare statements and be prepared to attend court as a witness.
- To help achieve the tasks and improvements contained in the Building Control Operational Plan and carry out duties in such a way as to maintain accreditation to ISO:9001: 2018 Quality Management System or any subsequent updated version.
- To supervise and assist with the development and training of staff. This will include development of suitable training plans for new and existing employees to ensure that they have the appropriate level of qualifications, skills and competencies.
- To support and assist the Head of Building Control in all aspects of the service area and to deputise as required.
- Such variations as may be required from time to time without changing the general character of the duties shown above or the level of responsibility entailed.
- Full professional membership of either RICS, CABE, or MCIOB in a Building Control dedicated discipline.
- Qualified to LABC level 6 competency standard – (or working towards qualification and subsequent achievement of appropriate certification).
- Experience in complex building control projects including commercial, retail, industrial and multi-use developments.
- Ability to communicate effectively with Senior Managers and Councillors
- An ability to analyse proposals logically and analytically and to make decisions on them
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Ability to prioritise workload and demonstrate time management skills
- Ability to work well as part of a team and promote a team approach
- The ability to communicate effectively both in writing and orally, with the ability to listen to and influence others
- Computer literate
- Ability to identify areas for service development and improvement
- The ability to assist, train and motivate staff (leadership)
- Recognised Construction or Surveying Degree.
- Recognised Management qualification.
- Experience of working in local government.
- A working knowledge of building control software modules and Document Management Systems
- Experience in the role of staff development / mentoring
- Experience of Building Regulation application to High Rise buildings
Postholders are expected to be able to physically inspect premises which may involve scaffolding and restricted access areas.
Professional Accreditations & Trusted Partners
SIA accreditation held by our trusted partner 'Stage Security'
Car Park Management
Car Park Enforcement
Public Car Parks
University of Suffolk Car Parks
Car Park Permits
Apply for a Permit
Parking Charge Notices
Pay a PCN
Appeal a PCN
Car Park Terms & Conditions
Car Park FAQs
Contact & Info
Work for Us
Modern Slavery Policy
Terms & Conditions of Procurement by Ipserv.
Grafton House, 15-17 Russell Road, Ipswich, IP1 2DE